Lhasa Railway Station, at an altitude of 3,641 meters, is built like a traditional Tibetan palace with the main colors of white and red.
Lhasa Railway Station only serves normal-speed trains due to the high elevation and rugged terrain. The main routes are the Qinghai–Tibet line, the Lhasa–Shigatse line and the Sichuan–Tibet line.
The appearance of Lhasa Railway Station
- Name: Lhasa Railway Station (拉萨火车站)
- Address: Liuwu Village, Deqing County, Lhasa
- Chinese Address: 拉萨市堆龙德庆县柳梧乡
- Station Size:seven platforms, ten lines
Trains to Lhasa
Only a few city stations have trains to Lhasa. We have detailed the options below.
Xining Railway Station
It takes about 21 hours and costs 781 yuan for a soft sleeper ticket.
* It is recommended to choose this route to enter Tibet as there are many trains to choose from. Xining is a western city in China, the closest major city to Lhasa on the Qinghai–Tibet Railway, so you can adjust to the climate and elevation in Xining before going to Tibet.
Find details about Xining Railway Station.
Lanzhou Railway Station
It takes about 24 hours and costs 823 yuan for a soft sleeper ticket.
* This route is highly recommended as there are four trains to choose from and you only need to spend 1 day on the train.
Xi’an Railway Station
It takes about 30 hours and costs 969.5 yuan for a soft sleeper ticket.
Chengdu Railway Station
Only one train is available. It takes about 36 hours and costs 997.5 yuan for a soft sleeper ticket.
Beijing West Railway Station
Only one train is available. It takes about 40 hours and costs 1,144 yuan for a soft sleeper ticket.
* We don’t recommend you choose Beijing–Lhasa line because the tickets are very hard to buy.
Find details about Beijing West Railway Station.
Shanghai Railway Station
Only one train is available. It takes about 40 hours and costs 1,262.5 yuan for a soft sleeper ticket.
Find details about Shanghai Railway Station.
Guangzhou Railway Station
Only one train is available. It takes about 52 hours and costs 1,468 yuan for a soft sleeper ticket.
Train journeys to Lhasa always takes many hours, read this article to learn how to enjoy and spend hours during long-distance train trips: Overnight Trains in China: Experience Long Journeys the Good Old Way! .
The Layout of Lhasa Railway Station
There are three commonly used floors: one underground floor and two that are above ground.
- F1: ticket windows, LED screens (train information), escalators
- F2: waiting rooms (the south side), baby care room, treatment room, shops, platforms
- Square: parking area
Collect Tickets and Board a Train
- Go to F1 to collect your ticket(s).
- Find the waiting area on F2 and wait to board.
- Board your train on F2.
Transportation Around Lhasa Railway Station
There are three buses available near the station. Here are the bus numbers and their routes:
- Bus 1: Chengguan Garden B (城关花园b区站)–Lhasa Railway Station
- Bus 6: Lhasa Railway Station–Youche Station (邮车总站)
- Bus 13: Lhasa Railway Station–Langsai Jiuqu Station (琅赛九区站)
There are many tour buses that park in the station square. Travelers can take them to the famous attractions and main districts.
How to Book Train Tickets to Lhasa
Enjoy the gorgeous scenery when you take a train to Lhasa
Buying train tickets to Lhasa, unlike buying other train tickets in China, there are some more procedures to be dealt with. If you are not familiar to the rules of booking train tickets to Lhasa, please first read Tibet Train Tickets: 8 Things to Know Before Buying.
Tickets to Lhasa are very hard to get. Generally, they are sold out almost immediately after they have been released by China Rail.
In order to be fair, China Rail releases a few tickets several times before the departure date. However, nobody knows when these tickets will be released.
Finding a travel agency to book train tickets to Lhasa is recommended, but most of them charge a high service fee (over 500 yuan per ticket).
We recommend that you book your Lhasa train ticket(s) with our China Train Booking app.
We have served many Tibetan travel agencies with this app, which has enabled them to buy Lhasa train tickets.
Book your Lhasa train ticket(s) with us to enjoy our cheap service fee (up to 8 USD per ticket) and our excellent 24-hour service.