Beijing South Railway Station is also called Beijing Nan Railway Station because nan means ‘south’ in Chinese. It’s the biggest train station in Beijing and serves the most trains.
Like all the new railway stations in China, it was built with both a railway station and a subway station. The station has been designed just like an airport, with recreation areas included.
- Name in Chinese: 北京南站 （Běijīng Nán Zhàn）
- Station address: 12 Yongwai Avenue, Fengtai District
- Chinese address: 北京市丰台区永外大街12号
- Station Size: 13 platforms and 24 lines
- Main railway lines: Beijing–Shanghai high-speed railway and Beijing–Tianjin intercity railway
- Open: 24 hours
- Structure: Subway station + railway station
Beijing South Railway Station Map
Beijing South Railway Station is located in the south of Beijing, close to a famous attraction — Temple of Heaven Park.
The distances to Beijing’s three downtown districts:
- To Dongcheng District (the Palace Museum): about 8.5 kilometers
- To Xicheng District (the Great Hall of the People, Jingshan Park): about 6.5 kilometers
- To Chaoyang District (Chaoyang Park): about 13 kilometers
Check the English China online map on your phone using our China Train Booking app.
Popular Trains to Other Cities
China Train Booking app
- Beijing South – Hong Kong: There are no trains in service from Beijing South Railway Station to Hong Kong. However, there are normal/high-speed trains operating between Beijing West Railway Station and Hong Kong’s Hung Hom Railway Station / West Kowloon Railway Station.
- Beijing South – Shanghai: There are 42 high-speed trains operating to Shanghai Hongqiao / Shanghai Railway Station. It takes about 4–6 hours and costs 553 yuan for a second-class ticket.
- Beijing South – Tianjin: There are 158 high-speed trains operating to Tianjin / Tianjin West Railway Station daily. It takes about 30 minutes and costs 54.5 yuan for a second-class seat in C-trains.
- Beijing South – Hangzhou: There are 15 high-speed trains operating to Hangzhou East Railway Station daily. It takes about 4–6 hours and costs 538.5 yuan for a second-class seat.
- Beijing South – Harbin: There are two high-speed trains operating to Harbin West Railway Station daily. It takes about 7 hours and costs 541.5 yuan for a second-class seat.
- Beijing South – Changchun: There are 10 high-speed trains operating to Changchun / Changchun West Railway Station daily. It takes about 5–6 hours and costs 433 yuan for a second-class seat.
Check all the online timetables and book your China train tickets via our China Train Booking app.
The Station Layout of Beijing South Railway Station
Beijing South Railway Station is a new and large station with five floors; however, only three of them are commonly visited by passengers: Floor 2 (F2), Floor 1 (F1), and Basement 1 (B1).
- F2: waiting hall, boarding gates, ticket windows, baby care room, inquiry desks, and shops (KFC, Starbucks, and so on)
- F1: platforms
- B1: arrival floor, ticket windows, baggage storage, inquiry desks, subway exit and entrance floor, and restaurants
- B2 and B3: subway floors
Buy/collect tickets: The manual ticket offices 1, 2, and 3 are located on F2 and ticket office 6 is located on B1 for buying/collecting tickets.
Ticket Windows on F2
* Automatic ticket machines are not available for international travelers.
Reschedule and cancel train tickets: Ticket office 3 on F2 offers these services.
Baggage consignment: There is a China Railway Express office in the northwest section of F2. You can have your overweight baggage consigned to your destination by paying a reasonable extra fee.
Restaurants at Beijing South Railway Station: McDonald’s, KFC, Yong He Soy Milk, Hefu Noodle, and more.
Passengers can find ways by following the indicators
Transportation Around Beijing South Railway Station
The subway station is located on B2 and B3 inside Beijing South Railway Station. There are two metro lines available:
- Metro Line 4: It operates from Tiangongyuan Station (天宫院) to Anheqiao North Station (安河桥北) from 05:15 to 23:15. You can reach Xidan, Renmin University, Yuanmingyuan Park, and Beijing Zoo by taking this line.
- Metro Line 14: It operates from Zhangguozhuang Station (张郭庄) to Shangezhuang Station (善各庄) from 05:30 to 22:40. You can reach Garden Expo Park and Wangjing SOHO by taking this line.
Beijing Metro Line Network, click the map to see a larger map:
There are three bus stations distributed around Beijing South Railway Station: South Square, North Square, and Yongwai Road (永外幸福路).
Available buses: 17, 20, 102, 106, 133, 343, 458, 485, 529, 652, 655; at night — 15, 17, and 27
Taxi stands are located on B1 — there are bilingual signs directing you to them.
Beijing taxi fare: It costs 14 yuan for the first 3 kilometers and 2.3 yuan per extra kilometer. A 20% extra fee is charged for nighttime journeys (23:00 to 05:00).
Airport Shuttle Bus
- Location: the North Exit of Beijing South Railway Station (there are signs directing you there)
- Operational: 05:00 to 21:00; about 30 minutes’ interval between each bus
- Arrival order: T2 → T1 → T3
- Ticket fare: 30 yuan
Get to Other Places from Beijing South Railway Station: Attractions, Airport, and Stations
To Beijing Capital International Airport, about 40 Kilometers
>>> By taxi: It takes about 1½ hours and costs about 140 yuan.
>>> By Airport Express: Go to the North Exit and take the bus — it takes about 1 hour to get there.
To Beijing Railway Station, about 11 Kilometers
>>> By taxi: It takes about 30 minutes and costs about 35 yuan.
>>> By subway: Daxing Line 4 → Line 2, about seven stops
1. Take Daxing Line 4 (地铁4号线大兴线) and get off at Xuanwumen Station (宣武门).
2. Take an internal transfer at Line 2 and get off at Beijing Railway Station .
3. Leave the station from Exit C.
To Beijing West Railway Station, about 12 Kilometers
>>> By taxi: It takes about 25 minutes and costs about 35 yuan.
>>> By subway: Daxing Line 4 → Line 7, about six stops
1. Take Daxing Line 4 (地铁4号线大兴线) and get off at Caishikou Station (菜市口).
2. Take an internal transfer at Line 7 and get off at Beijing West Railway Station .
3. Leave the station from Exit A.
To the Forbidden City/the Palace Museum, about 9 Kilometers
The Forbidden City
The Forbidden City is also called the Palace Museum and is located in Dongcheng District, being only 4 kilometers from Tian’anmen Square.
>>> By taxi: It takes about 40 minutes and costs about 30 yuan.
>>> By subway: Line 4 → Line 1, six stops in total, about 50 minutes
1. Take Line 4 and get off at Xidan Station.
2. Take an internal transfer to Line 1 and get off at Tian’anmen East Station.
3. Leave the station from Exit B and walk for about 1.4 kilometers to get there.
To the Great Wall of China, about 78 Kilometers
There are many sections of the Great Wall, such as Badaling, Simatai, and Mutianyu. Here, we have used the Badaling section of the Great Wall as an example to show you how to get there from Beijing South Railway Station.
The Badaling Section of the Great Wall
>>> By taxi: It takes about 2 hours and costs about 300 yuan.
>>> By subway and bus: about 3 hours
1. Take Line 4 and get off at Xuanwumen Station (宣武门).
2. Take an internal transfer to Line 2 and get off at Jishuitan Station (积水潭).
3. Leave the station from B2 and walk for about 600 meters to get to Deshengmen Bus Station.
4. Take bus 919 to reach the Badaling section of the Great Wall (13 stops).
>>> By subway and Suburban Line S2:
1. Take Line 4 and get off at Xizhimen Station (西直门).
2. Take an internal transfer to Line 13 and get off at Huoying Station (霍营).
3. Leave the station and walk for about 120 meters to reach Huangtudian Railway Station (黄土店).
4. Take Suburban Railway Line S2 and get off at Badaling Railway Station.
To Temple of Heaven Park, about 7 Kilometers
The Temple of Heaven
>>> By taxi: It takes about 20 minutes and costs about 25 yuan.
>>> By subway: Line 14 → Line 8, two stops in total, about 20 minutes
1. Take Line 14 (East Section) and get off at Yongdingmenwai Station (永定门外).
2. Take an internal transfer to Line 8 and get off at Tian Qiao Station (天桥).
3. Walk for about 440 meters to get there.
Hotels Near Beijing South Railway Station
- 7 Days Inn (Beijing South Railway Station South Square Yangqiao Branch): The price is about 171–350 yuan per night. It’s a famous and cheap chain hotel in China, and is only 360 meters away from Beijing South Railway Station.
- Hanting Hotel (汉庭酒店): The price is about 500 yuan per night and it’s only about 180 meters away from Beijing South Railway Station.
- Hi Inn (Beijing South Railway Station Yangqiao): The price is about 189–227 yuan per night and it’s only 460 meters away from Beijing South Railway Station.
- Wanfangyuan Hotel, Beijing (万方苑国际酒店): It is only about 970 meters away from Beijing South Railway Station. The features include a taxi service, gym, teahouse, and baggage storage.
- Beijing Rishengchang Hotel (北京日升昌酒店): It is only 1.2 kilometers from Beijing South Railway Station. The features include a train station and airport pick-up service, a taxi service, Chinese restaurants, a café, and a bar.
Consult more travel tips for free by sending us a question via our China Train Booking app!
Book Your Train Tickets to Beijing
You are recommended to use our China Train Booking app to book your China train tickets anytime and anywhere:
- Three booking steps and receive your tickets in 3 minutes
- 100% money back guarantee
- One-to-one English customer service