Nanjing South Railway Station is the largest railway station in Asia, and it’s one of the busiest transportation hubs in East China. It has a well-developed public transit system, including subway, bus, taxi, and airport express. In addition, it is near Nanjing South Coach Station, convenient for passengers who wish to take a coach.
Currently, Nanjing South Railway Station is a top class station serving only high-speed trains to major cities, including Shanghai, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Guangzhou, and Wuhan.
- Name in Chinese: 南京南站, Nánjīng Nán Zhàn
- Address: Yulan Road, Yuhuatai District
- Address in Chinese: 南京市雨花台区玉兰路
- Station size: 28 platforms, 28 lines
- Nearby transportation: subway, bus, taxi
Popular Trains to Other Cities
- To Shanghai Hongqiao Railway Station: There are more than 100 high-speed trains a day running from Nanjing South to Shanghai Hongqiao. The journey takes about 100 minutes and costs 134.5 yuan per second class seat.
- To Suzhou North Railway Station: 64 high-speed trains a day run to Suzhou North from Nanjing South. The journey takes about one hour and costs 99.5 yuan per second class seat.
- To Hangzhou East Railway Station: Over 100 high-speed trains operate on this route daily. The journey takes about 90 minutes and costs 117.5 yuan per second class seat.
- To Changsha South Railway Station: There are 12 high-speed trains running daily to Changsha South. The journey takes about 6 hours and costs 589.5 yuan per second class seat.
- To Guangzhou South Railway Station : There are only two trains daily between Nanjing South and Guangzhou South. It takes 8 hours and costs 628 yuan per second class seat.
- To Wuhan Railway Station: 13 high-speed trains run daily to Wuhan Railway Station from Nanjing South. It only takes 3½ hours and costs 168.5 yuan for a second class seat, helping passengers reach Wuhan easily.
The Layout of Nanjing South Railway Station
Nanjing South Railway Station is a five-floor station with two squares, south and north. Both squares have bus stops. We will provide information on transport to local destinations below.
The Main Building
F3 (main floor): waiting area (equipped with 220V charging sockets), VIP waiting room, commercial area (restaurants, book stores, specialty stores, drug stores), water fountains, and toilets
F2: railway platforms, ticket windows, entrance gate, and taxi arrivals floor
F1: ticket windows, convenience store, restaurants
B1: subway station
B2: metro platforms
Collecting Tickets and Boarding Trains at Nanjing South
There are ticket windows on F1 and F2, and they are located at the north entrances of the station.
- The ticket windows are marked “取票窗口”in Chinese.
- After collecting your paper ticket(s), you need to pass through a security check before reaching the waiting area. Your passport(s) and paper ticket(s) are checked during the security check.
- Go to the waiting area and get ready for boarding.
* The entrance gate closes 6 minutes before departure.
Transportation Around Nanjing South Railway Station
Both the north and south squares have bus stops. Please make sure you wait at the correct bus stop, because buses go in two different directions. One is to Jiangning District which is a science and technology center (passengers rarely go there), and the other is to downtown areas (Baixia District and Qinhuai District).
A bus trip in Nanjing usually costs 2 or 3 yuan. Here is a map of bus stops at Nanjing South Railway Station:
Buses to Jiangning District: 27,791, 792, 190
Buses to downtown areas: 19, 84, 129, 719, D12, D16, Y16, Y27
Popular bus routes:
- Bus 19: Nanjing South Railway Station–Mochou Lake Park (莫愁湖公园)
- Bus 27: Nanjing South Railway Station–Xinjiekou South (新街口南)
- Bus 792: Nanjing South Railway Station–Tongren Coach Station (同仁客运站)
- Bus D12: Nanjing South Railway Station–Zhongshan Wharf (中山码头)
There are taxi stands on both B1 and F1 at Nanjing South. Taxis on B1 usually head to downtown areas, and taxis on F1 head to the Jiangning District.
When leaving from Nanjing South Railway Station: Please follow the signs to reach one of the taxi stands.
When arriving at Nanjing South Railway Station: You can ask the driver to drop you off at the arrivals floor F2.
- Available metro lines: 1, 3, S1, S3
- Location: B1 of the main hall
- Operating times: 6am to 11pm daily
Compared with bus and taxi, the subway in Nanjing is generally quicker and cheaper. Passengers can take a subway to Nanjing Railway Station or Nanjing Lukou International Airport directly from Nanjing South Railway Station.
Airport Express (Airport Express Line 2)
- Location: west side of the main building.
- Price: 25 yuan
- Operating times: 6am to 9pm daily
Here are some useful sentences, which may help you:
To the clerk/police officer at the station:
“Hello, where can I buy an airport express ticket to Nanjing Lukou International Airport?”
To the ticketing assistant:
“Hello, I’d like to buy an airport express ticket to Nanjing Lukou International Airport.”
How to Get to Nanjing South Railway Station from the Downtown Area
Xinjiekou (新街口) in the Baixia District(白下区) is the most bustling place in Nanjing City, and the Baixia District is one of the most important business and financial centers in China. Many large-scale shopping squares, sightseeing hotels and financial institutions can be found in this area.
Travelers can take subway or taxi from downtown to Nanjing Railway Station quite easily. Here are the steps:
- Subway: 1. Take Metro Line 1 at Xinjiekou Station.
- Taxi: The journey takes about 35 minutes and costs 31 yuan.
2. Get off at Nanjing South Subway Station and leave from Exit 3.
The journey only takes about 25 minutes and costs 2 yuan.
Getting to Other Places from Nanjing South Railway Station
To Nanjing Railway Station, 16 Kilometers
Nanjing Railway Station is one of the top ten railway stations in China. It connects some important railway lines, such as Beijing-Shanghai, Shanghai-Nanjing and Xi’an-Nanjing.
Note that there are five normal speed trains running daily to Huangshan Station from Nanjing Railway Station. Travelers can reach the Yellow Mountain by taking one of them. The journey takes about 7 hours, costing 53.5 yuan for one hard seat ticket.
We suggest two ways for passengers to get to Nanjing Railway Station.
- By taxi: This takes about 27 minutes and costs about 41 yuan.
- Subway: 1. Take Metro Line 3 at Nanjing South.
2. Get off at Nanjing Railway Station and leave from Exit 4.
This journey takes about half an hour and costs 3 yuan.
To Nanjing Lukou International Airport, 35 Kilometers
Lukou International Airport Station
Nanjing Lukou International Airport is in Jiangning District (江宁区). We recommend three ways of getting to the airport from Nanjing South Railway Station.
- By taxi: This takes about 27 minutes and costs about 41 yuan.
- Subway: 1. Take Metro Line S1 at Nanjing South.
- By airport express: This takes about 1 hour and costs about 25 yuan.
2. Get off at Lukou International Airport Station.
This takes about 44 minutes and costs about 3 yuan.
To Nanjing Confucius Temple (Qinhuai River), 8 Kilometers
Nanjing Confucius Temple was built in 1034 (during the Song dynasty) in memory of Confucius, who made a massive contribution to Chinese culture. The ancient architecture of the Confucius Temple earned a high reputation not only for its historical value, but also for its charming natural beauty and harmonious construction.
Nanjing Confucius Temple
Qinhuai River is near the Confucius Temple, and runs through central Nanjing. Taking a bamboo raft on the river is a cool thing to do in this beautiful city.
Here are two suggestions for getting to the Nanjing Confucius Temple:
- By taxi: This takes 21 minutes and costs 30 yuan.
- Subway: 1. Take Metro Line 3 at Nanjing South Railway Station.
2. Get off at Confucius Temple Station (夫子庙) and leave from Exit 4.
This takes about half an hour and costs about 2 yuan.
To Lion Bridge (狮子桥), 17 Kilometers
Enjoying Chinese gourmet food is always an important thing to do during a China trip, and there are various food streets in Nanjing selling delicious street snacks. One such street is called Lion Bridge. There you can taste local Nanjing food such as xiaolong bao, dried fish, pastries and so on.
- By taxi: This takes 30 minutes and costs 46 yuan.
- Subway: 1. Take Metro Line 1 at Nanjing South Railway Station.
2. Get off at Xuanwu Gate (玄武门).
This takes about 40 minutes and costs about 3 yuan.
Booking Train Tickets to Nanjing
You are recommended to book your China train tickets using our China Train Booking app. All the train schedules are synchronized with China Railway and you can get your ticket(s) within 3 minutes of booking. Our hotline and email responses are available from 09:00–23:00, daily.