October 1st is Chinese National Day which is to commemorate the founding of the People's Republic of China in 1949. There are many activities are held nationwide on that date, especially in Tian'anmen Square in Beijing. It is a big day for Chinese people. And It is the longest holiday in China. There are 7 days public holiday for this festival, usually from Oct.1 to 7th.If the Mid-Autumn Festival holiday falls within this period, the holiday period generally gets a day or two longer.
This period is also called "golden week" because of the biggest week for tourism in China when Chinese people have a week off to reunite with families and take trips.
The History of Chinese National Day
On October 1, 1949, it is the memorial day for the founding of the People’s Republic of China. An victory celebration and ceremony was held in Tian’anmen Square to celebrate the forming of the Central People's Government of the brand new country. Mao Zedong raised the first Communist national flag of China in person amid 300,000 soldiers and other people who were gathered at the square. Later on October 2nd 1949, the new government passed the‘Resolution on the National Day of the People's Republic of China’ and declared October 1 to be the Chinese National Day.
National Day Celebration Activities
The military reviews
The Military Review & Patriotic Parade in Beijing
Now there are 15 altogether military reviews have been held on October 1st since 1949 on the Tiananmen Square in Beijing. The most representative , impressive and influential ones include the military reviews on the founding ceremony, the 5th anniversary, 10th anniversary, 35th anniversary, 50th anniversary , 60th anniversary and the 70th anniversary which held in 2019. People from both home and abroad to watch it online. There are usually huge and amazing parades by common people to express their patriotic feelings following the military reviews. The Military Review & Parade is now held in a small scale every 5 years and in a large scale every 10 years.
The National Day Flag Raising Ceremony
Other activities like flag-raising ceremonies, dance and song shows, firework displays and painting and calligraphy exhibitions are also held to celebrate the National Day. If one loves shopping, National Day holiday is a great time, for many shopping malls offer big discounts during the holiday.
Other Celebration Activities
- The government of some cities sponsors firework displays and light shows in the evening.
- Many attractions and shopping malls offer big discounts during the holiday.
- Basically there are 7 days holidays for this festival for most Chinese people. But for whom with special occupations only have 2 or 3 days holiday. Such as doctors and nurse, or tourist guide etc.
- It is a holiday that many Chinese try to visit back home or go traveling.
Travel tips for Golden week in 2021
Now travel in China is gradually resuming. Always remember to hold the required documents with you while travelling, which including your original passport and green health code, etc.).
Many Chinese go traveling during the Golden Week. Some attractions will limit the number of tourists due to the special circumstances recently. You can see a sea of people at attraction sites; you may difficult to get the train ticket even you book in advance; so it is better of you have a backup plan. Also we recommend you to book flight tickets or hotel once you decide to travel during the holiday.
- If possible, avoid traveling during the Golden Week, or avoid traveling to popular places or attractions during this period But if you like to experience it, you can also take a trip. You don’t have to worry about the security issue.
- Chinese people like to visit the famous attractions during the National Day, such as the Forbidden City and the Great Wall in Beijing, the Terracotta Warriors in Xian, Jiuzhai valley in Sichuan and the other historical cities etc.
- If you do decide to travel or to see the top sights, try to avoid the first two days and the last day of the Golden Week. lower your expectations. Course they'll be overcrowded.
- Book hotels/flights/trains as soon as you can. For trains in China, the tickets are available 15 days prior to departure now. We will issue the ticket for you at the first place to secure your trip. But the train tickets may be sold out in minutes once available, so please be prepared.