Xi’an is the oldest of China's Four Great Ancient Capitals, with many historical sites, such as the Terracotta Army and the Ancient City Wall.
Xi’an Railway Station
Unlike the modern station Xi’an North, Xi’an Railway Station is an old station first built in 1934, and it only operates normal-speed trains to destinations including Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Pingyao and Lhasa.
- Name in Chinese: 西安站, Xī’ān Zhàn
- Address: 151 Huancheng Bei Road, Xincheng District
- Address in Chinese: 新城区环城北路151号
- Station size: 6 platforms, 11 lines
- Nearby transportation: bus, subway, taxi
Popular Trains to/from Xi’an Railway Station
- Xi’an–Beijing: There are 7 normal-speed trains a day running from Xi’an to Beijing West. The journey takes about 13½ hours and costs 254.5 yuan per hard sleeper ticket.
- Xi’an–Shanghai: 12 normal-speed trains a day run from Xi’an to Shanghai Railway Station. The journey takes about 20 hours and it costs about 310.5 yuan per hard sleeper ticket.
- Xi’an–Lanzhou: There are over 30 normal-speed trains available. The journey takes about 8 hours and costs around 163 yuan for a hard-sleeper ticket.
- Xi’an–Pingyao: There are 3 normal-speed trains a day. The journey takes about 9 hours, and costs 124 yuan per hard-sleeper ticket.
- Xi’an–Lhasa: 2 normal-speed trains a day run from Xi’an Railway Station to Lhasa Railway Station leaving at 09:45 and 11:24. The journey takes about 31 hours and costs 611.5 yuan per hard sleeper ticket.
- Xi’an–Huashan: There are no direct trains from Xi’an to Huashan, but you can transfer at Xi’an North Railway Station.
Train view along the Xi’an – Lhasa Line
Check more Xi’an train schedules and routes on our China Train Booking app.
The Layout of Nanning East Railway Station
In total, Xi’an Railway Station has two floors and one station square.
- F2: waiting rooms, commercial area (restaurants, toilets, specialty stores),water fountains
- F1: ticket windows, entrances and exits, platforms, service desk, waiting rooms, commercial area (restaurants, toilets, specialty stores), water fountains, luggage storage service
- Station square: taxi stands
What to Eat at Xi’an Railway Station
Local Xi’an delicacy: cold noodles
For Western-style food, you can find Subway and KFC on F1.
For local Chinese food, there is a local chain restaurant called Weijia Cold Noodles (魏家凉皮) selling local Xi’an fare such as cold noodles and pork sandwiches using pita bread. It’s on F1.
Collecting Tickets and Boarding Trains at Xi’an Railway Station
The ticket offices in Xi’an Railway Station can be found on F1, near the east and west entrances. Here are the main steps:
- Find one of the ticket windows on F1 and collect the ticket(s) you booked online.
- Go through the security check on F1 with your passport(s) and ticket(s).
- Go to the correct waiting room and wait to board (see How to Board Trains Fast).
* There are 12 waiting rooms at the station. Please find the correct one and wait to board. The appropriate room number will be printed on your paper tickets or shown on the LED screen. (See How to Read a Chinese Train Ticket.)
Luggage Storage Service at Xi’an Railway
- Location: F1 (near the west side of the exit).
- Price: 5–10 yuan
- Operating times: 24/7 service
Follow the steps for storing your baggage at the station by reading: Baggage Rules of China Railway. For more free consultations about China trains, you are always welcome to ask on our China Train Booking app – “FAQ” column.
Transportation Around Nanning East Railway Station
Xi’an Subway Tickets
The nearest subway station from Xi’an Railway is called Wulukou (五路口), about 700 meters away.
- Available metro line: No. 1
- Operating times: 06:00 to 23:30 daily
Taxi stands are set up near the southwest of the exit gate at Xi’an Railway Station. To leave the station by taxi, please follow the signs there. To arrive at Xi’an Railway Station, passengers will be dropped off in front of the station square.
Bus stations are distributed around the the main hall. Passengers can follow the indicators after getting off the train and they will lead you straight to these bus stops. Here are some popular bus routes to some Xi’an tourist attractions:
- Bus 5/306: Xi’an Railway Station–Terracotta Warriors (兵马俑) / Huaqing Hot Spring (华清池)
- Bus 5: Xi’an Railway Station – Dayan Tower (大雁塔)
- Bus 40: Xi’an Railway Station – Xiaoyan Tower (小雁塔)
- Bus 17: Xi’an Railway Station – Daming Palace (大明宫)
- Bus 30: Xi’an Railway Station – Xiaozhai (小寨)
Airport Express Coach
If you want to go to Xianyang International Airport from Xi’an Railway Station, there is an airport express stop near Longhai Hotel (陇海酒店), only 600 meters from the station. You can simply go there and purchase a ticket for the airport.
- To the passerby：
“Hello, how to get to Longhai Hotel from here?”
- To the ticketing assistant:
“Hello, I’d like to buy an airport coach ticket to Xianyang International Airport.”
Getting to Other Places from Xi’an Railway Station
To Xi’an North Railway Station, 16 Kilometers
Xi’an North Railway Station
Xi’an North Railway Station is in Weiyang District (未央区), about 18 kilometers from Xi’an Railway Station. It only operates high-speed trains to/from major Chinese cities.
>>> By Subway: Line 1 → Line 2, ten stops.
- Take Metro Line 1 at Wulukou stop, and get off at North Street (北大街).
- Transfer to Metro Line 2 and get off at Xi’an North Railway Station (北客站). This journey takes about 50 minutes and costs 4 yuan.
>>> By Taxi: This journey takes 35 minutes and costs about 42 yuan.
To Xi’an Xianyang International Airport, 38 Kilometers
>>> By Airport Express: Line 2, 25 yuan
- Leave the station and go to Longhai Hotel to find the airport express stop.
- Get off at Xianyang International Airport (咸阳国际机场). This whole journey takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
>>> By Taxi: This takes about 50 minutes and costs about 90 yuan.
To the Terracotta Army (兵马俑), Lintong District (临潼区), 38 Kilometers
The largest underground military museum, the Terracotta Army, is in Lintong district, rather far from Xi’an Railway Station.
>>> By Bus: Take bus No.5 Tourist Line (游5路) at Xi’an Railway Station, and get off at the Terracotta Army stop.
This journey takes about 30 minutes and costs 2 yuan.
>>> By Taxi: The journey takes 55 minutes and costs about 120 yuan.
To Muslim Street/Quarter (回民街), 4 Kilometers
Muslim Street/Quarter (回民街)
Muslim Street is in Lianhu District (莲湖区) in Xi’an’s city center. With its ethical features and delicious local Xi’an delicacies, it has become a popular place for people travelling in Xi’an.
>>> By Bus:
- Take bus 603 at Xi’an Railway Station, and get off at Bell Tower (钟楼).
- Walk about 800 meters along East Street (东大街). This journey takes about 30 minutes and costs 2 yuan.
>>> By Taxi: The journey takes 20 minutes and costs about 9 yuan.
To Big Wild Goose Pagoda (大雁塔) , Yanta District (雁塔区), 8 Kilometers
Big Wild Goose Pagoda
The Big Wild Goose Pagoda, built during the Tang Dynasty (618–907), is in southern Xi'an.
>>> By Bus: Take bus 5 at Xi’an Railway Station, and get off at the Big Wild Goose Pagoda stop.
This journey takes about 40 minutes and costs 2 yuan.
>>> By Taxi: The journey takes 40 minutes and costs about 22 yuan.
If you would like to know more travel routes from Xi’an Railway Station to other places, please feel free to use our China Train Booking app to submit your request. We can advise you of the best way to travel and provide free travel tips.
Book your Xi’an train tickets and get free personalized travel advice now!