Kunming Railway Station is in Guandu District, only 5 kilometers from the city center, and 29 kilometers from Kunming South Railway Station.
Kunming Railway Station
Kunming Railway Station not only has normal speed-trains to/from Beijing, Chengdu, Guangzhou, Shanghai, and Xi’an etc, but now also operates high-speed trains to and from Dali. The high-speed trains have shortened the trip between Kunming and Dali by 5 hours.
- Name in Chinese: 昆明站, Kūnmíng Zhàn
- Address: Beijing Road, Guandu District
- Address in Chinese: 昆明市官渡区北京路
- Station Size: 6 platforms, 12 lines
- Nearby transportation: buses, taxis, subway
Popular Trains from/to Kunming Railway Station
- Kunming–Dali Railway Station: There are over 20 high-speed trains a day from Kunming to Dali, departing between 06:24 and 21:43. The journey takes about 2 hours and costs 145 yuan per second class seat.
- Kunming–Lijiang Railway Station: There are 4 normal-speed trains daily between Kunming and Lijiang. They take about 8 hours and cost 141.5 yuan per hard sleeper.
- Kunming– Shangri-la (Trains + coach): There is no direct train from Kunming to Shangri-la, but you can transfer at Lijiang Railway Station. First, take a normal speed train from Kunming to Lijiang Railway Station. Then transfer by taxi to Lijiang Coach Station from the railway station (this takes about 14 minutes, and costs 15 yuan). Lastly, take a coach from Lijiang to Shangri-la (about 4 hours).
- Beijing West Railway Station–Kunming: 4 normal-speed trains a day run to Kunming Railway Station from Beijing West Railway Station. They take about 40 hours and cost 536 yuan per hard sleeper.
- Chengdu Railway Station–Kunming: 5 normal-speed trains operate on this route daily. The journey takes about 20 hours and costs 238.5 yuan per hard sleeper.
You can look up all the schedules on our China Train Booking app.
Kunming Railway Station mainly serves normal-speed trains, and you may find some advice about taking normal-speed trains by reading these 2 articles：
The Layout of Kunming Railway Station
The station consists of a main hall on three-stories and two squares, the north and south squares. The north square is mainly for passengers entering the main hall, and the south square is still under construction.
Service Desk at Kunming Railway Station
- F2 (main floor): waiting area, commercial area (restaurants, toilets, specialty stores)
- F1: ticket windows, waiting area, restaurants, shops, service desk, toilets, left-luggage service (details below), water fountains, toilets
- B1: parking lots, taxi stands (pick-up), toilets
Left-Luggage Service at Kunming Railway
- Price: 5–10 yuan
- Operating times: 06:00 to 23:00 daily
The left-luggage service is on F1. You will see it on the left-hand side after passing through the security check. It’s near the restaurant Disco.
To the clerk/police at the station:
“Hello, where is the left-luggage service on F1?”
To the clerk at the baggage storage service:
“Hello, I’d like to deposit my luggage here.”
Collecting Tickets and Boarding Trains at Kunming Railway Station
There are 2 ticket offices at Kunming Railway Station, and both are on F1. The first is next to the entrance, and the other is near the south square.
Here are steps for collect tickets:
- Find one of the ticket offices on F1.
- Choose one of the ticket windows (marked “取票窗口”) to collect ticket(s).
- After collecting your paper ticket(s), you need to pass the security check with your ticket(s) and passport(s).
- Go to the waiting area shown on your ticket(s) to wait for your train.
Further reading: How to Board Trains in China.
Transport Around Kunming Railway Station
Available buses: 2, 3, 47, 58, 59, 64, 68, 117, 134, 140, K12
Bus stops are set up at the sides of north square. It usually costs 1–2 yuan for a bus ticket. Here are some popular routes:
- Bus 44: Kunming Railway Station–Haigeng Park (海埂公园)
- Bus 47: Kunming Railway Station–Expo Park (世博园)
- Bus 80: Kunming Railway Station–West Bus Station (西部客运站)
- Bus 117: Kunming Railway Station– Municipal Museum (市博物馆)
As you leave Kunming Railway Station, follow the signs to reach the taxi stands on B1. When going to Kunming Railway Station, you will be dropped off between the north square and the main hall.
- For daytime (6:00 to 22:00) rides, the starting price is 8 yuan for the first 3 kilometers and 1.8 yuan for each additional kilometer.
- For nighttime (22:00 to 6:00) rides, the starting price is 9.6 yuan for the first 3 kilometers and 2.1 yuan for each additional kilometer.
* Please note that there is a 1 yuan fuel surcharge.
- Available metro line: No 1
- Operating times: 06:00 to 22:00 daily
- Location: B1 of south square
The subway passes through many major subway stations, such as University Town (大学城), New Asia Athletics Park (新亚洲体育城), and Chunrong Street (春融街)...
Airport Express Coach
- Location: near the station exit
- Price: 25 yuan
Here are some useful sentences, which may help you:
To the clerk/police at the station:
“Hello, where can I buy a bus ticket to Changshui International Airport?”
To the ticketing assistant:
“Hello, I’d like to buy a bus ticket to Changshui International Airport.”
Yunnan Tourism Coach Station
Yunnan Tourism Coach Station (云南旅游客运站) is located east of the main hall, about 900 meters from Kunming Railway Station.
Passengers can go by coach to Dali, Lijiang, Qujing (曲靖), Chuqiong (楚雄) and many other places in Yunnan.
If you need help, you can show this sentence to a passerby:
“ Hello, could you please tell me how to get to Yunnan Tourism Coach Station?”
How to Get to Kunming Railway Station from the Downtown Area, 5 Kilometers
Nanping Pedestrian Street (南屏步行街) in Wuhua District (五华区) is the most bustling place in Kunming, the “Wall Street of Kunming.”
It is an urban business center, integrating multiple functions such as shopping, entertainment and culture.
Travelers can easily take a subway or taxi from downtown to Kunming Railway Station. Here are the steps involved:
1. Take bus no. 68 at Nanping Pedestrian East Street (南屏东街) Bus Station.
2. Get off at Kunming Railway Station.
The journey takes about 31 minutes and costs 2 yuan.
- By taxi: The journey takes about 22 minutes and costs about 10 yuan.
Getting to Other Places from Kunming Railway Station
To Kunming South Railway Station, 29 Kilometers
Here are the steps for passengers to reach Kunming South from Kunming Railway Station:
1. Take metro line 1 at Kunming Railway Station and get off at Chunrong Street (春融街).
2. Transfer to metro branch line 1 Chunrong Street (春融街) to Kunming South Railway Station (昆明南站).
Line 1→Branch Line 1 (地铁1号线支线), about 1½ hours, 5 yuan.
- By taxi (recommended): The journey takes 45 minutes and costs about 75 yuan.
To Changshui International Airport, 30 Kilometers
Changshui International Airport
Kunming Changshui International Airport (昆明长水机场) is in Guandu District, and you can get there by airport express or taxi:
- By airport express: The journey takes about 50 minutes and costs 25 per person.
- By taxi: The journey takes about 40 minutes and costs about 71 yuan.
To Dianchi (滇池), 14 Kilometers
Dianchi is in the southwest of Kunming, near Yunnan Ethnic Village. It is one of the seven biggest freshwater lakes and one of the most popular tourist resorts in China.
1. Take bus no. 44 at Kunming Railway Station.
2. Get off at Haigeng Park (海埂公园) Bus Station.
The journey takes about 55 minutes and costs 1 yuan.
- By taxi: The journey takes about 46 minutes and costs about 30 yuan.
Booking Train Tickets to Kunming
You are welcome to book train tickets to the beautiful city of Kunming using our China Train Booking App. Ticket availability is updated every second, and directly synchronized with China Railway.